This Summit is organized by the Southern California Biomedical Council (SoCalBio), the trade association of the bioscience and digital health industries in the Greater Los Angeles region. This event explores Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) technologies that promise to disrupt the $3 trillion US healthcare system. It is also a forum for key providers, payers, entrepreneurs, and investors to share how innovation can improve the delivery of care at lower costs. Furthermore, it provides an opportunity to learn from companies and providers how they are overcoming internal politics and regulation issues to offer IoMT and big data solutions to improve patient care.
Moderators & Panelists
8:00 – 8:30 am
8:30 – 9:00 am
9:15 – 10:15 am
IoMT and Remote Patient Monitoring
Speakers will discuss how remote patient monitoring and care through IoT platforms can disrupt traditional healthcare delivery models and expand the reach of quality healthcare to the aging and remote population.
- David Hood, President, DH3
- Cesar Garcia, President & CEO, Silvergens (Medication adherence)
- Patrick Bertagna, President & CEO, GTX (Remote monitoring)
- Onur Mudanyali, PhD, Director of R&D, Cellmic LLC (Remote Dx)
- Dean Sawyer, President & CEO, Sentrian (AI for home care)
10:15 - 11:15 am
IoMT in Wellness & Prevention. Case Study: Preventing Diabetes
IoMT technologies have potential, not just in managing diseases, but also supporting a wellness lifestyle to prevent the onset of diseases. This panel will explore the Medtronic/IBMWtason partnership in developing diabetes prevention programs
- Neal Kaufman, CMO, Canary Health
- Pratik Agrawal, Data & Informatics Innovation, Medtronic Diabetes
- Dan Hurley, Solera's VP of IT, Solera Health
11:15 - 12:15 pm
The Next Frontiers of IoMT
Take a peek at some of the next-gen IoMT platforms being developed in Greater Los Angeles to utilize artificial intelligence and machine learning in medical image analysis, the use of augmented reality in medical training, and robotics for patient care.
- William Dolphin, PhD, Investor and Serial Entrepreneur
- Seamus Blackley, Principal Scientist, Daqri
- Aymen Salem, MD, CEO, Ikioo Technologies
- Nima Tajbakhsh, Lead Scientist, VoxelCloud
- Kevin Zhang, Partner, Upfront Ventures
The Operational Impact of IoMT: Measurable Improvements in the Real World
Many healthcare providers are forming innovation groups to bring new technologies into the spectrum of care. Vendors panelists will share their experience interacting with these innovation groups and how their IoMT innovations were adopted or rejected. Panelists representing healthcare systems will talk about IoMT measurable outcomes.
- Scott Witt, Sr. VP, Unified Dispatch LLC
- James Crawford, IT leader in the Southern California Region, Kaiser Permanente
- Bhaskar Krishnamachari, Director, USC Center for Cyber-Physical Systems and the Internet of Things
- Jag Padala, CTO, Tagnos
3:00 - 4:00 pm
Understanding IoMT's Regulatory Challenges
IoMT is still in its infancy. As a result, many regulatory controls and practices are still in their nascent stages. Participants in this segment will discuss how the FDA and other regulatory bodies in the US and abroad are pondering how to ensure that patients get the most benefit out of IoMT safely and effectively.
- Peter Blaisdell, PhD, Scientific Advisory Board Member, Meditope Biosciences
- Scott Cunningham, Partner, Covington
- Michael Maylahn, President, Stasis Labs
- Robert Schultz, Sr. Manager of Device Regulatory Affairs, Amgen
Where to Go from Here?
This panel will propose action steps based on surveys and research done by SoCalBio and USC ISI to create an IoMT center of excellence to strengthen the Greater Los Angeles digital health ecosystem. The center will provide needed resources to support emerging companies and help the region’s device industry leverage digital innovations to ensure success in an increasingly competitive healthcare industry landscape.
- Ahmed Enany, President & CEO, SoCalBio
- Michael Orosz, PhD, Research Director, Decision Systems, USC Information Sciences Institute
- Subbarao Surampudi, PhD, Program Manager at NASA-JPL
- Others (TBA)
5:00 - 6:30 pm