SoCalBio Networking Forum: Future of Nucleic Acid Medicine
City of Hope
1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA 91010
Thursday, July 26, 2018 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM (PDT)
- Omar K. Haffar, Ph.D., President & CEO, EOS Biosciences
- Vuong Trieu, Ph.D., Executive Chairman, Marina Biotech
- More TBA
Join us for the 20th Annual SoCalBio Conference
Westin Long Beach
333 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA 90802
Friday, September 28, 2018 from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM (PDT)
2018 SoCalBio Digital Health Conference (#SoCalBioDH)
700 Queensway Dr, Long Beach, CA 90802
Friday, November 9, 2018 from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM (PST)
Thanks to those who attended the
Startup Accelerators, Incubators, & Support Programs in Greater Los Angeles
First Look at Digital Health Firms in Greater Los Angeles
Los Angeles is one of the top digital health hot spots in the US. SoCalBio has identified over 165 companies in our region developing and providing digital health solutions. The majority of these firms was born after the passage of the HITECH ACT and ACA in 2008. There are two main clusters of firms:
- The first is in West Los Angeles, from Santa Monica and Beverly Hills in the north to Torrance in the south.
- The second is in Southern Orange County from Irvine to San Juan Capistrano.
(Please keep in mind that we are continuously updating this map as we are still adding companies founded in 2015)
SoCalBio Can Help You Cut the Cost of Doing Business
In partnership with the Biotechnology Industry Organization, (BIO), SoCalBio member companies and organizations participate in the nation’s largest group purchasing program for the bioscience industry. This program helps you access products and services from lab and office supplies to insurance and shipping services at significant discounts offered exclusively to SoCalBio members located in Southern California.
This program gives you the purchasing power of the largest companies in your industry. In addition, it saves you the time and effort you would have to expend to negotiate pricing. In partnership with BIO, we have pooled the purchasing power of thousands of companies to benefit your company.
SoCalBio Helps Cut the Cost of Doing Business
Learn Why Incubators Are Vital to Biotech’s Success in Los Angeles
Los Angeles County has an emerging biotech cluster including 100+ companies. There are a few established companies in the area. For example, Amgen, the biggest biotech company in the world, is located just outside the western edge of the County in Thousand Oaks. But the overwhelming majority is still in the R&D phase. The list of notable companies includes:
Astellas Pharma, ArmagenTech, C3Jian, Claremont Bio, DxTerity Diagnostics, Emmaus, Epeius Biotech, ImmunoCellular Therapeutics, Kite Pharma, Liquid Genomics, Molecular GPS, Nanthealth, Nantcell, Nantbiosciences, Puma Biotechnology, Ritter Pharmaceuticals, Synedgen, and Xencor
Nearly half of the County’s biotech firms is made up of early-stage ventures housed in seven incubators. Therefore, the future of biotech in Los Angeles rests in part on the success of these incubators in nurturing startups and help them move to the next level.
Biotech Incubators in Los Angeles
Learn about bioscience industry workforce trends based on a company survey conducted by SoCalBio. The survey shows, among other things, that:
- The bioscience industry experienced healthy Job growth and expected to add jobs at a rate higher than that of the private sector in the Greater Los Angeles Metro Area.
- 25% of future hires are expected to be in the regulatory, quality and engineering categories
- Because many firms are emerging pre-product ventures, nearly one of every future five hires is going to be in R&D
- One of every five new jobs is likely to be in manufacturing. This is higher than the share of manufacturing of private sector jobs in the Greater Los Angeles Metro Area.
- Most new jobs require college or graduate degrees. However, manufacturing, lab research and information technology offer opportunities not requiring 4-year college degrees or higher